Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pattern Dress

This weekend I started the the pattern dress. This process was rather quick to get set up. When using a pattern the only thing you need to get the pieces traced and cut is just a pattern piece and scissors. I then had to pick the size and style I was going to make the dress and cut out the right pattern pieces. I picked a dress style that consisted of the letters F I and H. Altogether it took me about ten minutes to cut out 6 pattern pieces and to add the notches ( notches are tiny triangles that help to match up the patterns correctly). Then I decided to take the pattern piece H. H was just a ribbon that went around the dress and I thought that the dress would look better with out it. Then I was left with four pieces. I then began to get the fabric ready. This process is very important. When cutting out the piece of fabric you have to make sure you cutting on the right grain. Lenght-wise grain run parallel to the selvage edge of the fabric. It is somewhat strong and and what you want to line op your pieces. Crosswise is perpendicular to the selvage edge and is not very strong. the strongest is the bias cut. That cut is at a right angle to the lengthwise and crosswise. This has stretch and is a very nice cut for certain items. Yet, using this cut requires a lot of fabric. I then ironed the fabric to make sure it was smooth and crisp. This allows for correct pieces of fabric. I pinned the pieces of patterns to the fabric than I traced a 3/8 inch around the pieces and cut. Then I began to sew the bottom piece together and I the top. I have yet to attach the two pieces together.
This process was rather faster than drawing up the patterns myself. Having the patterns pieces done already allows me to get to the best part of putting the dress together and that is sewing the piece. It is a good feeling knowing that in just matter of an hour I could have a brand new dress for me to wear. I would be able to show of my work a little faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment